Camps and Excursions
School camps are considered an essential element of the St Therese’s Catholic School curriculum. Camps are held annually for our Grades 3 – 6 students as part of our Outdoor Education Programme. Through careful and detailed planning by staff, students are given opportunities to experience living away from the school and home environment in a way that teaches them the value of co-operative group work, the need to develop an awareness of God in their lives and the skills necessary to live in different environments.
Some of our major aims and goals for students participating in our Outdoor Education Programme include:
- The development of character building with a strong Christian emphasis.
- The development of an appreciation of the wonder of the world.
- The development of skills to facilitate co-operative learning.
- Linking all areas of the curriculum and, in particular, links to Religious Education, Science and Humanities.
- To provide all children with the opportunity to participate in a sequential camping programme.
- To provide shared class experiences and a sense of group cohesiveness.
- To reinforce and extend classroom learning.
- To provide a programme that delivers skills and knowledge that may lead to a life-long involvement in worthwhile leisure pursuits.
- To provide a programme that promotes self-esteem, resourcefulness, independence, leadership, judgement, co-operation, and tolerance.
The learning programme for all classes at St Therese’s is also complemented by a range of diverse excursions throughout the year.
Apart from Physical Education classes throughout the year, there is the opportunity to be involved in a number of extra-curricular sporting activities. These include soccer (from Prep), Netball and Football (Grade 5/6).
Music and Choir
Music education is an integral part of the Australian National Curriculum. In addition to the Music programme, students have the opportunity to be a part of our junior or senior choirs along with percussion groups. Our students are given the opportunity to participate in school eisteddfods during the school year.